turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My mutual fund gained $177 in value for 2018 but the long term capital gain was $1984. How can this be?

It doesn't make sense that the capital gain was much, much higher than the fund earn as a total for the year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

My mutual fund gained $177 in value for 2018 but the long term capital gain was $1984. How can this be?

When a mutual fund sells investments inside the fund, it realizes capital gains and losses.  The fund could be selling investments that it has held for a long time with very significant gains.  The investments sold could have even decreased during 2018, and have been sold for a large gain, nonetheless.  It sounds like your fund had a fair amount of that.  By law, mutual funds are required to distribute virtually all of the net capital gains (and dividends) to shareholders.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

that's how it goes with mutual funds. You're better off avoiding their fees and making your own investment decisions.
DDollar
Expert Alumni

When a mutual fund sells investments inside the fund, it realizes capital gains and losses.  The fund could be selling investments that it has held for a long time with very significant gains.  The investments sold could have even decreased during 2018, and have been sold for a large gain, nonetheless.  It sounds like your fund had a fair amount of that.  By law, mutual funds are required to distribute virtually all of the net capital gains (and dividends) to shareholders.

Thanks, David
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You're welcome.  Thanks for using TurboTax!!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies