Solved: My husband and I own a building with my mom. It’s 2 units, my mom lives in one (she pays us/we pay mortgage), rent the other (we handle the rental). How do I enter this?

ihatetaxesihatet

My husband and I own a building with my mom. It’s 2 units, my mom lives in one (she pays us/we pay mortgage), rent the other (we handle the rental). How do I enter this?

Vanessa

If your mother is part owner of the house the money she is paying you would not be considered rent, it would be considered her paying her share of expenses. Her payments would not be entered on your return as income.

The other side, you will report the income and expenses by clicking 

• Federal
  • Wages & Income
  • See Full list of Income
  • Show more next to Rentals, Royalties and Farm
  • start next to Rental Properties and Royalties

You will enter your share of the rental income and expenses as you walk through the steps.  You will not be able to deduct the portion of expenses associated with your mothers' side of the house as a rental expense for your mothers' side of the house. 

Vanessa

• Federal
  • Wages & Income
  • See Full list of Income