turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My ex paid my rent in 2017 directly to a 3rd party (complex) but this was not in our separation agreement. Do I need to count this as paid alimony?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

My ex paid my rent in 2017 directly to a 3rd party (complex) but this was not in our separation agreement. Do I need to count this as paid alimony?

No.  That would be a gift and gifts received from an individual are not reported on a tax return, regardless of the amount received.

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

If this was not part of your separation agreement or part of the court order then it would not count as alimony for tax purposes. 

Voluntary payments are not considered alimony.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

Also, if your state offers a "renter's credit" you can still claim it, because you did "in fact" pay the rent with "your" money. It's your money, because it was gifted to you.

Thanks so much! If he did pay them and can prove it was paid (in lieu of alimony which is in our agreement) can he still deduct this on his return? Our alimony agreement states he would pay me monthly but he paid it directly to my complex versus paying me directly. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies