Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Must I report a deposit made in 2018 for a week's rental of my vacation home in 2019 on my 2018 return, or can I report it on my 2019 return?

If I report the deposit made in 2018 for a 2019 rental week and I rent for fewer than 14 days in 2019,  how would I get a refund for the tax paid on the deposit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Must I report a deposit made in 2018 for a week's rental of my vacation home in 2019 on my 2018 return, or can I report it on my 2019 return?

If you are on a cash basis (rather than accrual) you report income when you receive it.  However, security deposits are not included in income when you receive them if you plan to return them to your tenants at the end of the lease. In contrast, deposits for the last month's rent are taxable when you receive them, because they are really rents paid in advance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

If you are on a cash basis (rather than accrual) you report income when you receive it.  However, security deposits are not included in income when you receive them if you plan to return them to your tenants at the end of the lease. In contrast, deposits for the last month's rent are taxable when you receive them, because they are really rents paid in advance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@CC248 I don't know what you mean by a refund for the tax on the deposit.  If you will return the deposit, then you don't report it as income now.  If the deposit is refundable up until X days from the rental, and then it becomes non-refundable, that is also the day it becomes income.

Thank you.

Cash basis taxpayers report income when they actually receive it, and expenses when they actually pay them.

The exception is if you set up your business to use the "accrual" accounting method.  But this is complicated, requires an accountant to help you set up, and is uncommon for small businesses.  If you had an accrual accounting method, you wouldn't be asking this question.

But deposits are not income, unless they are non-refundable.  See the better answer above.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies