turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

EliK46

Multiple 1099-Bs - one includes sales used to pay taxes

I received 2 separate 1099-B forms from my broker all for RSU sales. One is the sales themselves, the other is the shares that were sold to pay taxes on the sales. How the heck am I supposed to enter this in turbotax? When I enter the detail on the first 1099-B, it asks how many shares were withheld to pay taxes so I'm entering the data there. I feel like entering all of the stock sales that I used to pay taxes is going to end up in a big mess.

Help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Multiple 1099-Bs - one includes sales used to pay taxes

RSUs are relatively simple.  When the RSUs vest, their value on that day is taxable income, which should be reported as wages in box 1 of your w-2.  Because you are taxed on the full value on the vesting date, that value is the cost basis.  Since units that were withheld to pay taxes were reported as a sale, you do not need to worry about the interview questions about units withheld to pay taxes.  You just report the two sales transactions - with an adjustment, if necessary, so that the cost basis reflects the value on the date of vesting.  Lets say your RSU award was 100 shares, and the value on the day they vested was $75 per share.  Your income added to wages would be $7,500.  Next, 25 shares were sold for $75 to pay taxes, leaving you with 75 shares which you also sold for $75/share.  You have two sales to report:  1) 25 shares sold for $75 per share with a cost basis of $75 per share.  2) 75 share sold for $75/share.  Both result in a gain of zero.  If either sale had a different sales prices than the price at the time of vesting, then there would be a gain or loss on the sale. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies