Mother receives disability as of last year. SSD. I support her financially with rent. Do the SSD payouts go towards that $4,050 income threshold?

wizzzzade

DDollar

No. Social Security Disability is not actually considered income for tax-related purposes.  It does not count towards the income test; however, it does count towards dependency status. For example, if your mother received $6,000 in Social Security disability, and you only paid $5,000 towards support for her that same year, you cannot claim her as a dependent for tax purposes since you didn't pay for more than half her support.