turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Me and my boyfriend bought a mobile home (in a community park) with cash. we are both on the title but we also pay rent to the park. how do we file this separately?

I don’t think we pay property taxes because we live on a park and this is our first “home” but we don’t have a mortgage and we paid cash but we would like to file separately unless we can’t. Please help i’m confused!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Me and my boyfriend bought a mobile home (in a community park) with cash. we are both on the title but we also pay rent to the park. how do we file this separately?

If you are not legally married you and he can only file as Single on each 2023 tax return.

Lot rent is not reported on a federal tax return.  Your state may have this as a deduction and if it does the TurboTax state program will cover this deduction.

Okay thank you so much for that, do you also know since we both bought the house in cash and we are both on the title. Do we both file it separately or just one of us claim it? I don’t want to get in trouble with government and have to owe anything. 

@alexpadron1114-g Since you both are on the title you can decide between yourselves how you want to report the lot rent paid on the state return.  If you choose to both deduct the rent then make sure the amounts entered on your state tax returns does not exceed the total amount actually paid.

TomD8
Level 15

If you don't have a mortgage and didn't pay property taxes, then there is nothing for you to enter on your tax returns with regard to your home purchase.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies