turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K-1 Guarantee Payments

My partnership K-1 shows a roughly $10,000 LOSS in box 2 and an almost identical guaranteed payment for capital in box 4b.  I thought the two would offset when it came to my tax obligation, but TT added about $3,000 to my taxes due when I entered the K-1 data. What's up? (Yes, I have other businesses that showed operating losses, including other real estate I manage myself -- is that the issue?)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

K-1 Guarantee Payments

The amount in Box 2 is considered a passive activity loss while the amount in Box 4b is considered nonpassive income. 

Passive losses, with certain exceptions, are generally only offset by passive income with excess losses being suspended.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

K-1 Guarantee Payments

The amount in Box 2 is considered a passive activity loss while the amount in Box 4b is considered nonpassive income. 

Passive losses, with certain exceptions, are generally only offset by passive income with excess losses being suspended.

K-1 Guarantee Payments

many thanks for a quick response ... but we actively manage the K-1. I am a managing partner, though I am not a real estate professional. Does my non-professional status cause the loss to be passive?

K-1 Guarantee Payments

@pbmeye02 wrote:

.......we actively manage the K-1. I am a managing partner, though I am not a real estate professional. Does my non-professional status cause the loss to be passive?

You need to materially participate in the rental activity as a real estate professional in order to avoid losses from the activity to be considered passive.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies