turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SK28
Level 1

K-1 and broker import into turbotax, are they duplicate?

Hello,  this is my first year trading stocks.  Turbotax imported all my transactions from my broker.  I also received several K-1's because of some transactions I did from publicly traded partnerships.  Do I have to enter these K-1's into turbotax as well?  Is that going to duplicate the transactions that were imported?

The second question, the imported transaction shows the correct information, purchase amount, sell amount, profit/loss amount.  However, schedule K-1 show different profit/loss for that same transaction!  Here are real numbers:  actual transaction imported: $322 profit.  K-1 shows: -$4311 (loss) in section L and -$4308 (loss) line 11-c.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

K-1 and broker import into turbotax, are they duplicate?

Yes, you have to enter the K-1 information for your tax return.  Publicly traded partnerships pay distributions that are a return of capital.  This affects the cost basis of your investment, and also results in ordinary income (or loss) in addition to capital gains and losses.  You should have received instructions and additional information to report the sale of the PTPs.    Because they are also reported by brokers on form 1099-B, you have to enter them again.  In order to prevent double taxation, either the K-1 entries or the 1099-B entries have to be adjusted.  If information is entered correctly for the sale of the PTPs from the K-1 information, the transaction will be properly reported, and you can adjust the cost basis in the 1099-B entry so that it is the same as the proceeds, resulted in no gain or loss on the sale, but it is reported on your tax return, so your proceeds from broker transactions will agree with IRS records.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies