TaxTriumph-

Is a rental real estate loss the same as a Net Operating Loss?

I own a vacation home that I rent out for part of the summer (so I am considered an active participant). This year, I am showing a loss for my rental activity on my Federal Schedule E (and therefore on line 17 of my 1040). I'm now working on my state taxes, and Turbotax is asking me if I had a "Net Operating Loss" this year. Is my rental loss considered a net operating loss (it's just my personal property, not a rental business), or is that something different?

RichardK

Generally, a Net Operating Loss would be a negative amount on line 41 of Form 1040, click here for IRS publication 536 Net Operating Loss (NOLs) for Individuals, Estates, and Trusts.

RichardK