turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

parjack_98
Returning Member

IRA Contribution Penalty

Hi,

I have stocks that I sold last year which I've originally thought of as my IRA investment until I received a form 1099-B for it this year. Having the mind set then that it was an IRA money, I rolled it into my bank which I opened an IRA account for it specifically. 

My question is what do I need to do to reconcile this money without getting penalized with tax multiple times? To be clear, I'm going to pay tax for the gain I made,  but I also get taxed for putting the same money into an IRA account, is this normal? I mean I've already paid capital gains tax, so what is the best course for me to take without getting a double whammy on tax? Do I have a way out?

Thanks for any help you can share.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

IRA Contribution Penalty

IRA contribution can only come form taxable compensation (money that you worked for, usually W-2 income or net self-employed income) and cannot exceed $6,000, or $7,000 if you’re age 50 or older, otherwise it is an excess contribution subject to a yearly 6% penalty until removed.

If you exceeded the limit then you need to have the IRA custodian return the excess with a "return of contribution" distribution that also returns any earnings attributed to the excess.

This assumes that the excess happened in 2019 so it must be removed before the July 15 due date (or October 15 is you file a timely extension prior to July 15).

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

IRA Contribution Penalty

I have stocks that I sold last year which I've originally thought of as my IRA investment until I received a form 1099-B for it this year. Having the mind set then that it was an IRA money, I rolled it into my bank which I opened an IRA account for it specifically.

My question is what do I need to do to reconcile this money without getting penalized with tax multiple times? To be clear, I'm going to pay tax for the gain I made, but I also get taxed for putting the same money into an IRA account, is this normal? I mean I've already paid capital gains tax, so what is the best course for me to take without getting a double whammy on tax? Do I have a way out?

your first problem is that if it wasn't an IRA account, did you report income in the prior years on your 1040. 

in which year did you put the money into the IRA a/c 2019 or 2020?.    if 2019, were you eligible to contribute? if so, do you want to contribute for that year?   if yes do you want to take a deduction, make it a non-deductible contribution or do you prefer a ROTH?  if yes, how much was in the account and what was the amount transferred? 

or is your situation that you already made the max IRA contribution and also transferred this taxable a/c into your IRA a/c?   what year? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies