turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In reporting the sale of a main residence that was a rental for a short time, TT asks for depreciation in two places, which give very dif results - which is correct?

Trying to enter the depreciation for recapture on my main residence, sold in 2018, which was rented for a short time, and also has some home office depreciation.

TT asks for depreciation in the the adjusted cost basis easy guide, and also on a later screen titled: Depreciation after May 6, 1997.  Depending on where I enter the depreciation, it gives very different results.

All activity was after May 6, 1997.

Which is correct?  Do both types of depreciation get entered in the same place?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CaronM
Intuit Alumni

In reporting the sale of a main residence that was a rental for a short time, TT asks for depreciation in two places, which give very dif results - which is correct?

You will want to make sure it is entered in both places, so that TT calculates it correctly.

darcykl
Returning Member

I have the same question. Why should we enter depreciation twice, though? What's the difference between the two? All of my depreciation was after 2014, and when I enter it in both places, it tells me I don't qualify for the Exclusion of Gain on the house, whereas if I enter it just in the Easy Guide section for calculating the adjusted basis of the house, it says I do qualify. In looking through the IRS instructions about the exclusion, I'm sure I do qualify for it. So why is TT asking for this amount twice and then disqualifying me?

Yes, enter it in both places.

The part in the "Easy Guide" is just a subsection that helps you figure out your Basis.  That part is not actually claiming that depreciation was taken.

The second place is actually saying that depreciation was taken so the program know how to tax that amount.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies