turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Importing TradeLog TXF File Into Desktop TurboTax

I imported my TradeLog TXF file of my 2019 trades for filling out Sch D and 8949s.  But then TurboTax has me manually enter the totals (aggregate proceeds, cost, gain/loss) and category.  In fact, it doesn't seem to use the TradeLog data I imported at all.  TT produces 8949s, but they just say "TradeLog - See attached statement" without including a list of the individual trades.  Also, it doesn't even report a summary for the category of short-term, not reported.  It looks like I am going to have to just enter the summary data for the Sch D manually and then send in the TradeLog 8949s.  Is there no way to use t he TXF TradeLog data?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

you should be talking to TradeLog to find out how to do this correctly.

I already have.  Here's what TradeLog says on their website:

Notice: We no longer provide detailed step-by-step instructions for importing TXF data into TurboTax®. Our users have found the Form 8453 method to be the simpler and most accurate way to e-file with TradeLog reporting.
How to import TXF files into TurboTax is pretty straight-forward and TradeLog provides instructions on how to do that.  TurboTax even confirms the importing of the TXF file.  It would seem that the problem is not with importing the TXF data into TurboTax --- it's what TurboTax does with the TXF file once it is imported.  For some reason it doesn't seem to insert it into its 8949s -- either the bottom line summaries or the individual trades.  So I think I am stuck between two outfits that are pointing the finger at each other.  I wish one of them would solve the problem.

hmmm... suggest you refer to the notation regarding other tax software ...

What notation is that?

airplaneal
Returning Member

Sounds like TurboTax needs to find the ability to include TradeLog into their system to make filing taxes more seamlessly!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies