Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

c-cdean

I put new appliances into my rental property. Can I deduct the installation fee and sales tax?

If I can do I include the cost with the appliance or list it separately? and in what category?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I put new appliances into my rental property. Can I deduct the installation fee and sales tax?

Yes, it all counts as one expense. Include it with the cost.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

If the cost was less than $2,500 then you can expense it. That includes the cost of the appliance, delivery charges you paid, and any labor cost you paid for professional installation.
One thing to point out here is that if you obtained a new water heater, that does not qualify for the safe harbor de-minimus act, and therefore can't be expensed. So you can't expense a hot water heater. You have to enter it as a rental asset and it gets depreciated over 27.5 years.
WHen expensing this, if you include the sales tax in your cost on the SCH E (and you should) then you can't claim that sales tax anywhere else on your return. Doing so would be double-dipping.

c-cdean

Thanks Carl
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes, it all counts as one expense. Include it with the cost.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies