patrickcosgrove5

If I sell a rental that was my primary residence until 10/1/18, must I complete the sale by 10/1/21 to claim a capital gains exemption? Close escrow on sale by then?

Just want to know how the 5 yr. window is calculated and what needs to be final by the 10/1/21 date
Mike9241

for the home sale exclusion, you have to use the property as your primary residence for 730 days in the 5 years before the sale. the 730 days do not have to be consecutive.

Hal_Al

Q. Must I complete the sale (date of closing) by 10/1/21 to claim a capital gains exemption? 

A. Yes. That's how it works.  Make it 9/30/21, just to be sure. 

You will not have to allocate any of the gain to rental time, but will have to pay tax on  the depreciation recapture.