Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I pay taxes on rein invested dividends each year, how do I decrease cost basis of current dividend?

I'm not selling my mutual, just let dividends rein invest.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

If I pay taxes on rein invested dividends each year, how do I decrease cost basis of current dividend?

Actually, if you pay taxes on the dividends you receive each year, your cost basis in the mutual fund goes up each year by the amount of the annual dividend. 

When you reinvest dividends in a non-retirement mutual fund, you are buying additional shares of that fund. The "cost basis" of the additional shares is the taxable dividend you reinvested.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL

Actually, if you pay taxes on the dividends you receive each year, your cost basis in the mutual fund goes up each year by the amount of the annual dividend. 

When you reinvest dividends in a non-retirement mutual fund, you are buying additional shares of that fund. The "cost basis" of the additional shares is the taxable dividend you reinvested.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies