turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I earned royalties and paid tax in a second state do I need to file for that state?

I earned revenue/royalties from mineral/oil rights in a state in which I do not live or work.  State tax was deducted from my royalties in the "other" state.  Do I need to file taxes in that state as well as my resident state?  Is there a benchmark earnings amount for filing in a second state?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

If I earned royalties and paid tax in a second state do I need to file for that state?

Yes, you may have to file a tax return for that state, if your income meets the filing threshold. If you respond with the state, I can give you the Nonresident filing requirements.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The state is Oklahoma.  Why doesn't TT let me know during the interview process?  Knowing the threshold (I assume that means amount of income from that state...) would be helpful.
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

See this link: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.ok.gov/tax/Individuals/Income_Tax/Filing_Information/General_Information/">https://www.o... are required to file an Oklahoma income tax return when they receive gross income of at least $1,000 of Oklahoma source income

can you let me know the threshold for MN?
rj99
Level 1

Is this $1,000 still the threshold for 2021?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@carlerine16- The filing threshold in Minnesota for 2021 is $12,525 in Minnesota gross income.

@rj99 The filing threshold in Oklahoma for 2021 is $1,000 from Oklahoma sources.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you let me know the rule for North Dakota?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If you were a full-year nonresident of North Dakota for the 2021 tax year, you must file a  2021 North Dakota individual income tax return if both of the following apply:

• You are required to file a 2021 federal individual income tax return.
  • You derived gross income from North Dakota sources during the 2021 tax year.

For a nonresident, “gross income from North Dakota sources” includes the income from tangible property in North Dakota, such as rents, oil and gas royalties, and gain from the sale or exchange of the property.

Form ND-1 Booklet

@Anonymous

OLW

Live in Tx earn royalties in NM.  Recd 1099misc tax doc from drilling Co with NM listed as state and the amount of taxes withheld.  I’ve reported the 1099misc on my federal return but do I also need to file a tax return for NM?

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Yes, according to New Mexico Taxation and Revenue, if you are required to file a Federal return and you have income from a New Mexico source, then you are required to file a New Mexico return.  

Take a look at the following website for more information:

Do I need to file?

@OLW

If I live in California but earn mineral royalties for a property I own in Pennsylvania, do I have to file both a Ca. and a Pa State return. What is the minimum threshold of income for Pa?

RaifH
Expert Alumni

Yes, you would have to file your normal California return as well as a nonresident PA return. The threshold for PA is a low one. Individuals are required to file a Pennsylvania return if their PA-sourced income exceeds $33. 

@Heidi Lancaster 

I am ready to file my Federal and State.   When I go to pay the 20 to file my State, I click on the button and it takes me to a blank white screen that just says "close" in the bottom right hand corner.   Nothing processes.  What is the fix?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@Heidi Lancaster

Please try the following steps which may help clear the loop you are experiencing:

• Log completely out of Turbo Tax.
  • Then, clear your cache and cookies within your browser and completely close out of it.  I have included the Help Articles below if you need assistance with clearing cache or cookies.
  • Re-open the browser and log back into Turbo Tax and see if this fixes the situation.
    • You can also try a different browser as well, or "incognito mode".

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, please reach back out here in the thread and someone will follow up with the next steps. 

Clear Cache

Delete Cookies

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies