Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

axetaxmax

What is my cost basis on a return of capital on foreign ADR stock where 1099-B shows acquired and distributed the same date in the amount of $0.31?

On my 1099-B form, it says 0.10 Banco Bradesco (Ticker BBD), a foreign ADR stock, and the date acquired and sold/disposed are the same, with proceeds of $0.31.  The cost basis is blank and TurboTax requires an adjustment.  From looking at the history of transactions for this holding in my brokerage account, I've saved the info for this date where it states "return of capital." So what is my cost basis? $0.31? Thanks. This is the first time I've encountered proceeds as a return of capital.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxLady

What is my cost basis on a return of capital on foreign ADR stock where 1099-B shows acquired and distributed the same date in the amount of $0.31?

Return of capital reduces your basis in the stock because it is a return of your investment (until your basis is reduced to zero, then it's capital gain).  So yes, your basis for the distribution is $0.31; your basis in BBD is then reduced by $0.31. Obviously this would be more meaningful if it was a larger distribution!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TaxLady

Return of capital reduces your basis in the stock because it is a return of your investment (until your basis is reduced to zero, then it's capital gain).  So yes, your basis for the distribution is $0.31; your basis in BBD is then reduced by $0.31. Obviously this would be more meaningful if it was a larger distribution!
TaxLady

I should have said "Your basis in your remaining BBD stock is reduced by .31." The Return of Capital distribution is not taxable income (until your basis goes to zero).  I'm clarifying this answer for anyone reading it who has received a large Return of Capital distribution.
axetaxmax

Thank you for clarifying and confirming the return of capital cost basis.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies