Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

clauvica

I rent in an apartment complex in Michigan, but not sure how to fill out the landowners information. Is the landowner supposed to be a company or a person?

How do I find that information?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I rent in an apartment complex in Michigan, but not sure how to fill out the landowners information. Is the landowner supposed to be a company or a person?

Are you saying that you own an apartment complex and collect rent? Or do you pay rent to live in a unit of said complex?

clauvica

I pay rent to live there

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

In the section of Michigan Form, Homestead Property Tax Credit Claim MI-1040CR, that applies to Renters, you are asked to provide "Landowner’s Name and Address (City, State, and ZIP Code)". Enter the name of the owner of the property, to the best of your knowledge, either an individual or a business entity.

Michigan's homestead property tax credit is how the State of Michigan can help you pay some of your property taxes if you are a qualified Michigan homeowner or renter and meet the requirements. You should complete the Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credit Claim MI-1040CR to see if you qualify for the credit.

The credit, for most people, is based on a comparison between property taxes and total household resources. Homeowners pay property taxes directly and renters pay them indirectly with their rent.

You may qualify for a property tax credit if all of the following apply:

• You own or were contracted to pay rent and occupied a Michigan homestead for at least 6 months during the year on which property taxes and/or service fees were levied.  If you own your home, your taxable value was $154,400 or less (unless unoccupied farmland)
  • Your total household resources were $67,300 or less (part-year residents must annualize total household resources to determine if a credit reduction applies)
  • Your total household resources do not consist solely of payments received from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies