Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 1099-B from my life insurance company for a fractional share of common stock for $53.37. How do I enter this info for my tax return?

The $53.37 check I received earlier in year resulted from MetLife separating its business into two independent, publicly-traded companies. I understand that I have received one share of Brighthouse Financial, Inc. for every 11 shares of MetLife. This transaction resulted in a fractional share of 0.909091  that Brighthouse does not distribute. So, they sent me a check for $53.37. I do not see within TurboTax how to enter this info even within the Investment Income 1099-B or Broker Statements. If I need to report this amount, how do I do it? Thank you. -Paul
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I received a 1099-B from my life insurance company for a fractional share of common stock for $53.37. How do I enter this info for my tax return?

Go here to see essentially the exact same conversation:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4227263-1099b-with-only-1a-c-d-4-5-ttax2017-unhappy-how-to-correct...

If you DO have basis in MetLife then use your basis in MetLife in place of the $0 I used over there.

You do have to use the "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other" interview to record the transaction only available - online - in Premier and above.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Go here to see essentially the exact same conversation:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4227263-1099b-with-only-1a-c-d-4-5-ttax2017-unhappy-how-to-correct...

If you DO have basis in MetLife then use your basis in MetLife in place of the $0 I used over there.

You do have to use the "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other" interview to record the transaction only available - online - in Premier and above.

Tom Young

Thanks for your answer. It was just what I needed to complete my tax return. I very much appreciate your help!

Using TurboTax Online, go to Tax Home> Take me to my return. Then, on the top right click on Search and you will be directed to enter your 1099-B. Please note, you may need to upgrade to the next software version.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies