Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I purchased a “collectible” painting and later offer it back to the gallery for consignment, purchaser has stopped paying. Can I claim as an investment loss? How?

I paid 2000 for a piece of art. I gave it back to the gallery for consignment. The purchaser of my consignment art stopped making payments, far short of the price. Can I write this off as a loss? What documentation do I need? Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I purchased a “collectible” painting and later offer it back to the gallery for consignment, purchaser has stopped paying. Can I claim as an investment loss? How?

You have what is called a "Non-business Bad Debt" and yes, it can be deducted if it not collectible. 

You will need to show the amount that was owed to you, for example, $1,500 and let us say $600 paid, then you had $900 coming and this was not paid.  Your loss in my example is this $900, which would be the Short-term capital loss.

Documentation.  The art gallery detail on the consignment, the price agreed to, the amount paid, attempts made to collect will all be needed.  You need to really be able to show that the amount is not collectible. 

You would report this in the investments section, please see below for more detail 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6581814

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You have what is called a "Non-business Bad Debt" and yes, it can be deducted if it not collectible. 

You will need to show the amount that was owed to you, for example, $1,500 and let us say $600 paid, then you had $900 coming and this was not paid.  Your loss in my example is this $900, which would be the Short-term capital loss.

Documentation.  The art gallery detail on the consignment, the price agreed to, the amount paid, attempts made to collect will all be needed.  You need to really be able to show that the amount is not collectible. 

You would report this in the investments section, please see below for more detail 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6581814

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies