turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid an independent contractor >$600 for repairs on my rental property this year. I've issued a 1099-MISC to the contractor. How do I report this to the IRS?

I paid an independent contractor >$600 for repairs on my rental property this year. I've issued a 1099-MISC to the contractor. How do I report this to the IRS?

I've noticed that TurboTax Premier asks if I've submitted a 1099-MISC for the contracted work; however, there are no followup questions.  Should I file the 1099-MISC with the IRS on my own taxes, or through some other interface?  Thanks.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

What if I paid cash?
dogo-24

what if I paid cash for improvements to rental property
Belling

No, as you are not required to file Form 1099-MISC with the IRS for any rental property independent contract work that was done.You will still include the amount you paid the independent contractor on your rental return Schedule E as a rental expense, but you do not need to file form 1099-MISC with the IRS.

You are not required to file a 1099-MISC form for independent contract work that was done for your rental property, as long as you are not a real estate professional. 

If you rent out a house or apartment, you may worry that you have to send 1099s to contractors you hire to work on that house or apartment. A clause in the 2009 Affordable Care Act said that when you own a rental, you send a 1099-MISC to anyone who billed you more than $600 for work on the property. That rule was repealed, but the old information is still out there in cyberspace, adding to the confusion. Unless you're a real-estate professional, you're safe, and you don't have to file the 1099 for that work.

Can you please confirm if this is still current for 2016 taxes due 2017? I want to make sure I don't need to issue a 1099-Misc for the gardner and pool service and maintance for the house I own and rented out for the year and I'm not a real estate professional. Thanks!

I was wondering too... last year we bought a different home and rented out our old home in November, but we paid about $6,200 to our neighbor who has a company, to remodel/fix things before we could rent it out.
Ken18

Can anyone from turbotax help clarify this?  Thank you very much!
kb3k

I am wondering if this is still current as well.

Any updates?

We are still wondering?
Kpriya

I own a single member llc and only file schedule E. I am not a real estate professional.  Am I required to issue 1099-Misc to contractor for work > 600

I am wondering if this is still current too for 2017 taxes!  Anyone?

Is this still true for 2017 taxes?  Can Turbo Tax assist on this?
julie8

This is the worst forum ever.  Please someone answer these questions.

Is this still true for 2018?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies