turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I own a home but would like to rent it and lease a house in another town, what would my tax obligation?

what can I claim or deduct on taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I own a home but would like to rent it and lease a house in another town, what would my tax obligation?

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Typically, while it will generate a cash flow, long term residential rental real estate does not generate taxable income *ON* *PAPER* at tax filing time. Especially if you have a mortgage on the property. But you will have a tax liability when you sell the property, assuming you sell it at a gain.

But do understand that if the property is in a state like Hawaii that taxes personal income, The Hawaii GET tax will be assessed by the state every year and you will pay the state that tax every single year, on top of the regular income tax for your other "ordinary" income you will pay to both the IRS and the state.

See this IRS article for tips on handling rental property on your taxes: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/tips-on-rental-real-estate-income-dedu...

Hal_Al
Level 15

Another thing to be aware of:

When you sell you principal residence, you are allowed to exclude the capital gain, from income.  That is, the gain (up to $250,000; $500,000 married) on the sale of your home is not taxable, if you owned and lived in the home for two out of the five years prior to sale.

If you rent out your home for three years after you move out, you will lose the right to exclude that gain.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies