Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kickler1896
Returning Member

I need some help I'm over the 4000 transaction limit and the only form I have is Form 8949.

Hello I traded cryptocurrencies this last year and have over the 4000 transaction limit. I used CoinTracker to keep everything in one place. They generate the tax forms for me but the only form I have from them is Form 8949. There is no option to import that into TurboTax and I am very confused as what I should do. 

I imported the transactions from CoinTracker but since I am over the 4000 limit it told me I needed to separate them and that is what the 8949 form does I believe. What do I need to do so that I can report these sales and file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I need some help I'm over the 4000 transaction limit and the only form I have is Form 8949.

did the Form 8949 generated for you provide details of 4,000 transactions.?

You can mail that in to the IRS after you e-File with summaries by Box Category.

if you choose to summarize only, you have to mail the transaction details to the IRS within three business days of IRS accepting your e-Filed tax return.(unless you have attached a PDF of the transactions details to your e-Filed return. TurboTax seems to be adding this feature now).
Detail Reporting Exception: if you summarize Category A or Category D, Form 8949 is not needed for transactions without adjustments. No mailing is necessary.

Typically, your sales category for crypto is C or F.

There is no exception for these categories.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies