turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm 70 years. my ssa is $ 27000/year, my job is $ 2929 as of 3/1/24 my stock $ 25000. If I withdrawal all the stock, will I have a large tax bill?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

I'm 70 years. my ssa is $ 27000/year, my job is $ 2929 as of 3/1/24 my stock $ 25000. If I withdrawal all the stock, will I have a large tax bill?

It depends on your basis in the stock and how long you've held the stock.   If you have had it over a year, the gains are long-term capital gains.   Stock you have owned less than a year is short-term and taxed at the same rate as ordinary income.   

And the amount of your social security that is taxable may increase depending on how much of the stock is taxable.   The gains on the stock sale depend on the basis of the stock.   

Example:  If your basis in the stock is $15K, you would have a gain of 10K, and if that gain is long-term, you would still be at the 0% capital gain rate for that income.   However, the $10K would increase your total income, which would make more of your social security taxable.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies