Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I keep getting asked about CA Mortgage and Home Equity. Did I do something wrong? I don't own a home, I rent. I don't have a 1098.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I keep getting asked about CA Mortgage and Home Equity. Did I do something wrong? I don't own a home, I rent. I don't have a 1098.

When an error like this happens, it is because a question in the interview was not answered correctly. 

1. Please try this:
  2. Sign in to TurboTax in a browser, not the app.
  3. Go through your Federal Deduction and Credits
  4. If you find a 1098 that was entered by mistake, use the wastebasket next to it to delete it.
  5. On the left hand panel pick Tax Tools
  6. Tools
  7. Delete a form
  8. Check your Federal forms first and then your state forms and delete any that refer to 1098.
  9. Run the Review for Federal and State

If that does not remove the error message go through your federal and CA state return again and try to find the question about home mortgage and home equity.  Make sure that those questions are answered correctly.

When an error like this happens, it is because a question in the interview was not answered correctly. 

1. Please try this:
  2. Sign in to TurboTax in a browser, not the app.
  3. Go through your Federal Deduction and Credits
  4. If you find a 1098 that was entered by mistake, use the wastebasket next to it to delete it.
  5. On the left hand panel pick Tax Tools
  6. Tools
  7. Delete a form
  8. Check your Federal forms first and then your state forms and delete any that refer to 1098.
  9. Run the Review for Federal and State

If that does not remove the error message go through your federal and CA state return again and try to find the question about home mortgage and home equity.  Make sure that those questions are answered correctly.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies