Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

micco21

I invested in stocks last year. I did not sell any. Do I need to wait for my 1099 form to

Do I need to wait for my 1099 form to file
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I invested in stocks last year. I did not sell any. Do I need to wait for my 1099 form to

If you did not sell any stocks in 2020, you will not receive any form 1099-B. Stock purchases are not tax reporting events.

However, you may have received dividends and would receive form 1099-DIV. So it would be prudent to wait if you'll receive any tax forms from your broker.

The IRS only starts receiving e-filed tax returns on February 12, 2021.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You might also get a 1099-B if you invested in mutual funds or ETFs, since trades within the fund can generate reportable events even if you didn't sell your shares of the fund.

My dividends were automatically re-invested using TD Ameritrade.  And they show I have no forms due to me, still wait?

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

If you own stocks that paid dividends in a taxable/non-qualified account (not an IRA) you will need to report the dividends, regardless of whether they were reinvested or not.    You should receive a Form 1099-D from your broker/dealer for the dividends.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@LewMichael wrote:

My dividends were automatically re-invested using TD Ameritrade.  And they show I have no forms due to me, still wait?

Are you trading stocks within a IRA or Roth IRA account?  An IRA is an arrangement for holding and trading almost anything; you must report your contributions and withdrawals but you don't report activity within the account. 

Otherwise it seems odd that your dividends would not generate a 1099-DIV.  You might want to call TDA. 

You might not get a 1099-DIV if the dividends were less than $10, is that it?  They should still be reported. 

No, I transfered $$$ from a checking account and after my first dividend payout I signed up for some kind of auto dividend thing that bought more of the stock.  I checked my last December statement from TD and it shows I was paid a total of $2.42 even though all dividends were spent right away buying more of that stock. Thx for your time.

@LewMichael wrote:

No, I transfered $$$ from a checking account and after my first dividend payout I signed up for some kind of auto dividend thing that bought more of the stock.  I checked my last December statement from TD and it shows I was paid a total of $2.42 even though all dividends were spent right away buying more of that stock. Thx for your time.

If you received $2.42 of dividends, that is taxable income to you now even though it was reinvested.  Since it is less than $10, the broker is not required to report it.  You probably won't be challenged by the IRS if you leave it off your return, but you are technically required to report all your income even if you don't get tax forms from the payer. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies