turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have one residential rental property. I gave management company my EIN number, instead of my social security number. Do I file Schedule E or C?

I am concerned about using schedule E, because it does not list my EIN number, which is listed on my 1099-misc from the property management company.  Using schedule C allows me to enter the EIN, however, the income loss may be limited.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Melaine

I have one residential rental property. I gave management company my EIN number, instead of my social security number. Do I file Schedule E or C?

Schedule E.  Remember that your social security is tied with your EIN, therefore, you should  enter your EIN where you are asked for social security on the Schedule E.  Just as with a Schedule C, the EIN will be associated with you and your return, however, a Schedule E is specific for residential rental property and the Schedule C is not, Turbo Tax Tip on Schedule E.   See IRS Single Member LLC Businesses for more information on using your social security and EIN.  A snippet from the article is attached to this post.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies