turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ender1

I have entries on my 1099-B where "Wash Sale loss disallowed" is a decimal value and Turbotax default to "0." and will not let me enter the decimal value or even a 1.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I have entries on my 1099-B where "Wash Sale loss disallowed" is a decimal value and Turbotax default to "0." and will not let me enter the decimal value or even a 1.

A disallowed wash sale loss of less than 50 cents gets rounded down to zero, so there is no wash sale. You can't correct the problem in Smart Check where it displays the error message. You have to go back to where the sales were entered under Investment Income > Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other. Edit each sale and delete the wash sale loss amount, leaving the box blank. In other words, since the wash sale loss is less than 50 cents, you don't report it as a wash sale.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

A disallowed wash sale loss of less than 50 cents gets rounded down to zero, so there is no wash sale. You can't correct the problem in Smart Check where it displays the error message. You have to go back to where the sales were entered under Investment Income > Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other. Edit each sale and delete the wash sale loss amount, leaving the box blank. In other words, since the wash sale loss is less than 50 cents, you don't report it as a wash sale.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies