Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

reality5

I have a rental property in another state, does it matter if I file tax in that state after my filing my own?

I mean if I have to pay tax on my rental income in my home state,  and pay tax in the state where the property located? Doesn't that mean paying tax twice? Or do I need to file it at the property located state first? and then in my state? I am confused. Does it make any difference? Please explain clearly. thank you.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

I have a rental property in another state, does it matter if I file tax in that state after my filing my own?

You definitely need to file a tax return in the state where the rental property is located.  Your state of residence will give you a credit against the tax you pay on the rental income in the non-resident state. Therefore, you won't be double taxed on it.  When preparing your state tax returns in TurboTax, in most cases it is better to prepare the non-resident state first and then prepare your resident state tax return,

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You definitely need to file a tax return in the state where the rental property is located.  Your state of residence will give you a credit against the tax you pay on the rental income in the non-resident state. Therefore, you won't be double taxed on it.  When preparing your state tax returns in TurboTax, in most cases it is better to prepare the non-resident state first and then prepare your resident state tax return,

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies