Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

akreider8

I have a rental apartment because of my business, where do I write that off at

I am self employed and own a home in one city. I also rent an apartment because I work in a different city and stay there during the week. Can I write this off as a business expense and if so, where can I do that?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmandaR1

If your additional location is 100% for business, you can right it off under Rent. However, you'll need to upgrade to the Self-employed edition of TurboTax, to enter your rental expenses. The software will prompt you to do this to setup your business, enter general business income and expenses. To add your self-employed businesses and enter your rent expense:

1. Log in and click Take me to my return
  2. Click Federal Taxes and then Income & Expenses (If you have the blue button 'Check for more income', click it and then click 'Skip to see all income')
  3. Next scroll down to Self-Employment and click Show more
  4. Click Start/Revisit next Income & Expenses
  5. You'll need to say you're self-employed and add your business. 
  6. You'll come to a screen that says Your XYZ Info and on this screen is where you'll enter all income and expenses for your second business. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmandaR1

If your additional location is 100% for business, you can right it off under Rent. However, you'll need to upgrade to the Self-employed edition of TurboTax, to enter your rental expenses. The software will prompt you to do this to setup your business, enter general business income and expenses. To add your self-employed businesses and enter your rent expense:

1. Log in and click Take me to my return
  2. Click Federal Taxes and then Income & Expenses (If you have the blue button 'Check for more income', click it and then click 'Skip to see all income')
  3. Next scroll down to Self-Employment and click Show more
  4. Click Start/Revisit next Income & Expenses
  5. You'll need to say you're self-employed and add your business. 
  6. You'll come to a screen that says Your XYZ Info and on this screen is where you'll enter all income and expenses for your second business. 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies