Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a duplex. I rent out one half and live in the other with roomates. How do I file this, including the rent roomates pay me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Patrice

I have a duplex. I rent out one half and live in the other with roomates. How do I file this, including the rent roomates pay me?

How to enter rental income for duplex

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288530

Roommate rental

If this is merely a cost sharing arrangement where the amount paid is below fair market rental, there would be no reportable income to you. However, If the “rent” amount is fair market value, or more and you collect rent from someone who lives in a property that you own – even if it's just a room in your house – you're considered a landlord and must report the rent you receive as taxable income.

How to file rental income from roommates 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5783414

(see attached screenshots)

Carl
Level 15

There's several ways to do this with TurboTax. You'll probably find it easiest and simplest to treat each unit as a physically separate entity. It's really easy if each entity has it's own separate metered utilities. The rental unit is entered as exactly that - a physically separate unit that is 100% business use.

Then for the unit you live in you enter that as a physically separate unit selecting the option for "I rent out a room in my house/primary residence".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies