tvanleeuwen1

I have a business that had no income in the last several years but I had expenses for it in 2016. Can I claim the expenses or do I use them in a year with income?

If I cannot use the expenses, do I have to file a schedule C for a business with no activity? It is a sole proprietorship

PeterM

No, you can't hold onto expenses. You record them in the year that you pay them. You just enter the expenses you incurred in Turbo Tax. As far as revenues, if you didn't have any in 2016 then you'll have a loss in 2016. Any time that your business expenses exceed your business income...you have a loss.

PeterM