turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

oldfantom

I have 7 rental properties. Why, when I add some of my legitimate expenses for the last one or two of the buildings, my "taxes due" number increased by about $2,000?

I have 7 rental properties and when I added $7109 for HOA expenses for the last building, my taxes due increased by about $1500. Is there a problem with the software? The amount of taxes due increased when I added the amount above as well as when I added my mortgage interest for the building. I am money ahead by not listing about $8500 in expenses.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have 7 rental properties. Why, when I add some of my legitimate expenses for the last one or two of the buildings, my "taxes due" number increased by about $2,000?

It is more likely that you have run up against the Passive Activity Loss Limitations IRS Form 8582. 

Go ahead and enter your expenses, though, even though your tax bill for this year goes up.  The "suspended" losses are saved in your return and rolled to future years, where they will be released against income or the sale of your property.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It is more likely that you have run up against the Passive Activity Loss Limitations IRS Form 8582. 

Go ahead and enter your expenses, though, even though your tax bill for this year goes up.  The "suspended" losses are saved in your return and rolled to future years, where they will be released against income or the sale of your property.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies