elephantsmemory

I had a vacant a rental property that did not generate income in 2020 that I sold in 2020. Can I deduct 1098 mortgage interest on this property. Is it a sales expense?

MinhT1

If you took it off the rental market to list it for sale, then during that period, it is not a rental property and no rental expenses can be deducted.

It can be considered as a second home and you can deduct mortgage interest and property taxes as itemized deductions in the personal section of your tax return.

MinhT1

If this rental property was available for rental until you sold it, you can deduct the mortgage interest, property taxes and other expenses as rental expenses in 2020 even if you had no rental income.

elephantsmemory

There were no renters in it because it was vacant while being listed for sale.  Does this mean it was still a rental during that time period?

MinhT1