turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kippbane

I had a rental home that I no longer rent and use for personal use the entire year (2 years, actually). How do I delete the form E and convert this into a second home?

I receive no income on this property, but still have expenses.  Turbotax won't let me delete Schedule E and just enter the mortgage interest deductions instead.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rainydaze

I had a rental home that I no longer rent and use for personal use the entire year (2 years, actually). How do I delete the form E and convert this into a second home?

You need to properly "dispose" of the rental first.  When you're going through the Rental section, the software will ask if you've converted the property.  You must go through and recapture depreciation, etc. If you converted back in 2017, you need to go back and amend your return from 2017 to show the conversion of the rental to personal use.  That Is the proper way to remove Schedule E from your tax return for subsequent years. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rainydaze

You need to properly "dispose" of the rental first.  When you're going through the Rental section, the software will ask if you've converted the property.  You must go through and recapture depreciation, etc. If you converted back in 2017, you need to go back and amend your return from 2017 to show the conversion of the rental to personal use.  That Is the proper way to remove Schedule E from your tax return for subsequent years. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies