turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I completed the 8824 Like Kind Exchange on rental properties. 2019 tax year. How do I choose the new property as the new rental to depreciate and eliminate the old one?

I set up the new property as an asset with the adjusted basis of old property $168,000.  The basis of the like kind property received is $313,000 which includes the adjusted basis of the old property.  I would like to just have the new property to depreciate instead of keeping both.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I completed the 8824 Like Kind Exchange on rental properties. 2019 tax year. How do I choose the new property as the new rental to depreciate and eliminate the old one?

That should have happened on the 2019 return ... seek local professional assistance to make sure you did it correctly or to make the correction.  

This scenario can be quite complex.

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i4562#idm140594195971360

As @Critter-3 wrote, consult with a local tax professional.

I found an answer from randoodle @ Husam22 dated 3/5/20 that helped me immensely.  Thanks for your help too.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies