Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bwith1

Why did my depreciation go down from 9906 in 2016 to 8668 in 2017 when nothing much changed? (rental property)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

Why did my depreciation go down from 9906 in 2016 to 8668 in 2017 when nothing much changed? (rental property)

Enter 365 for the days rented in 2017.

Number of days Rented  - the day count for this starts from the first day a renter "could" have moved in. That should be your "in service" date if you were asked for that. Vacant periods between renters count also PROVIDED you did not live in the house for one single day during said period of vacancy.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
MichaelDC

Did you have any appliances or similar 5 year asset that ran out their depreciation in 2017? Let me know.
bwith1

no. there is only one asset depreciating,
MichaelDC

If it's the building itself, it shouldn't go down that much unless it's the year of sale or final year of depreciation.
bwith1

Are you saying there may be something incorrect with the TurboTax calculation? One more detail..there is a page where I entered days rented 331 (11 months) and days of personal use 0. Vacant for 1 month. Thanks.
MichaelDC

Ahaa!! A 10% reduction in days rented would bring about a 10% reduction in depreciation. See answer below. Thanks.
MichaelDC

Enter 365 for the days rented in 2017.

Number of days Rented  - the day count for this starts from the first day a renter "could" have moved in. That should be your "in service" date if you were asked for that. Vacant periods between renters count also PROVIDED you did not live in the house for one single day during said period of vacancy.

bwith1

I changed this in the program to say that it was rented all year. The depreciation number did not change. What do I have to do to get the number to change?
MichaelDC

Exit the return. Close the browser (best to clear cache if you can). Restart your return, double check your days rented and cycle through the asset interview. LMK
bwith1

THe program is still showing the $8,688 number for depreciation (seems too low). At my wits end. IS there any way to fix this or do I need to end my business with TutrboTax?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies