Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marri-parekh
New Member

I can't change rental property ownership % from 70% to 100% on schedule E. How do I make that change?

 
8 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

I can't change rental property ownership % from 70% to 100% on schedule E. How do I make that change?

The ownership percentage can be changed by changing the Rental Property Info. TurboTax will automatically adjust expenses for you. Be sure to check your asset(s)/building, improvements, etc,  to make sure they are being used 100% as well

 

  1. Open your TurboTax account > Search (upper right) > Type rentals > Press enter > Jump to link
  2. Select Edit for the property you want to change > Select  Edit beside Rental property info > Edit under Situations
  3. Select Rented a unit in multi-unit where you live > Continue to the screen to enter your Rental Use Percentage
  4. Enter 100%.

This should allow you to change your property from 70% to 100%. See the images below.

Carl
Level 15

I can't change rental property ownership % from 70% to 100% on schedule E. How do I make that change?

You can't just arbitrarily change your ownership percentage. Doing so will completely screw up a number of things; in particular the depreciation history. That will without question, come back to bite you.

If you already have the property asset listed in the Assets/Depreciation section with 70% ownership, then you have to show your acquisition of the other 30% as a completely and physically separate asset. Then depreciation on that additional 30% will start in 2020 on the date of your acquisition. But there is an easier way less prone to user error resulting in an audit.

 

Start from the beginning and Indicate that you converted your 70% of  the property to personal use on the date you acquired the other 30%. Enter only the rental expenses incurred up to the date of conversion to personal use. Then work through the assets in the assets/depreciation section. You must do the below for each individual asset listed.

Indicate that "I stopped using this asset in 2020". The conversion date will be one day "BEFORE" you acquired 100% ownership of the property. On the "Special Handling Required?" screen, select YES. (If you select no, you will be "forced" to enter sales information. You did not sell it.)  As you work through the asset, write down the amount in the COST box and the COST OF LAND box. After working through that asset in it's entirety, write down the prior years depreciation and current year depreciation taken. Add those two numbers together to get the total depreciation taken on the property.

Now subtract the total depreciation taken from the amount in the COST box that you wrote down earlier. This will be your new cost basis on this specific asset.

You must do the above for each individual asset listed.

Once done, the entire property and all assets associated with it are converted to personal use on the date that is one day "BEFORE" you acquired 100% ownership of the property.

Now you will enter an entirely new rental property of which you own 100% of. Your acquisition date of that property will be the date you acquired 100% ownership of it.  Your cost basis of the property and any other assets listed will be the "adjusted" cost basis you figured on each asset with the math above. Depreciation will start over from day one (the date you acquired 100% ownership) for the next 27.5 years.

 

 

 

sufong
New Member

I can't change rental property ownership % from 70% to 100% on schedule E. How do I make that change?

How to input the ownship name and % for the rental property.  Im trying to search but no slot that I can enter the search information.

Carl
Level 15

I can't change rental property ownership % from 70% to 100% on schedule E. How do I make that change?

@sufong your question as asked, is directly answered above. I note that your post is an "add on" to thread you did not start. Therefore, your situation is most likely completely different than the situation outlined in this thread. Please start a completely new thread providing the precise details of "your" specific situation, and you'll have a better chance of getting a "correct" response to that specific situation.

 

stc255
New Member

I can't change rental property ownership % from 70% to 100% on schedule E. How do I make that change?

I'm having the same problem as the original poster, and I don't see the option as shown in the screenshot of one of the responses.

ColeenD3
Employee Tax Expert

I can't change rental property ownership % from 70% to 100% on schedule E. How do I make that change?

@stc255

 

Don't follow the one with the screen shot. I am reposting the answer that you should adhere to from Carl.

 

You can't just arbitrarily change your ownership percentage. Doing so will completely screw up a number of things; in particular the depreciation history. That will without question, come back to bite you.

If you already have the property asset listed in the Assets/Depreciation section with 70% ownership, then you have to show your acquisition of the other 30% as a completely and physically separate asset. Then depreciation on that additional 30% will start in 2020 on the date of your acquisition. But there is an easier way less prone to user error resulting in an audit.

 

Start from the beginning and Indicate that you converted your 70% of  the property to personal use on the date you acquired the other 30%. Enter only the rental expenses incurred up to the date of conversion to personal use. Then work through the assets in the assets/depreciation section. You must do the below for each individual asset listed.

Indicate that "I stopped using this asset in 2020". The conversion date will be one day "BEFORE" you acquired 100% ownership of the property. On the "Special Handling Required?" screen, select YES. (If you select no, you will be "forced" to enter sales information. You did not sell it.)  As you work through the asset, write down the amount in the COST box and the COST OF LAND box. After working through that asset in it's entirety, write down the prior years depreciation and current year depreciation taken. Add those two numbers together to get the total depreciation taken on the property.

Now subtract the total depreciation taken from the amount in the COST box that you wrote down earlier. This will be your new cost basis on this specific asset.

You must do the above for each individual asset listed.

Once done, the entire property and all assets associated with it are converted to personal use on the date that is one day "BEFORE" you acquired 100% ownership of the property.

Now you will enter an entirely new rental property of which you own 100% of. Your acquisition date of that property will be the date you acquired 100% ownership of it.  Your cost basis of the property and any other assets listed will be the "adjusted" cost basis you figured on each asset with the math above. Depreciation will start over from day one (the date you acquired 100% ownership) for the next 27.5 years.

 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
stc255
New Member

I can't change rental property ownership % from 70% to 100% on schedule E. How do I make that change?

Alright, I just got off of support with TurboTax and found a solution, so I'll put it here for reference if it is helpful for the original poster:

 

My rental income is from renting a room that is part of my home property. So when I put in all of the expenses that I want to deduct against my rental income, I've always manually calculated the portion of total housing expenses that I want to apply against that rental income. But since there are some expenses that are strictly for the rental unit, and some that are shared, it's a mixed calculation.

 

Now after I had entered all of these expenses, upon final review, I was prompted to enter what percentage of my home my rental unit was. I put in 33%, but what this did was revise the expenses that I had already corrected for this portion to a third: so in many cases expenses were now showing as a 1/3 of what they should be. There is no way to fix this, so if you manually calculate your expenses, watch out! TurboTax instructed me to delete the whole Schedule E worksheet and start again.

 

Then when prompted for that percentage on final review, BE SURE TO TYPE IN 100% if you don't want your expenses all automatically adjusted by that percent.

Carl
Level 15

I can't change rental property ownership % from 70% to 100% on schedule E. How do I make that change?

Be aware also there are two other percentages one has to deal with too, when renting out a part of your home in the year of converting that space to a rental.

- Percentage of floor space rented that is exclusive to the renter. This is less than 100%

-Percentage of personal use of that floor space that is exclusive to the renter. This will commonly be 100%, as once you convert it to rental use, that space remains 100% business use unless you do "in fact" use it for personal use while it's classified as rental use. What you used that space for before converting it to a rental, does not count for anything.

There's also a question on the screen "just before" the summary screen that asks percentage of time it was rented the whole year. That question needs to be answered "AS IF" it's asking percentage of floor space that was rented, because for that specific and explicit situation, that's what the question "should" be asking.

 

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings