Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

weintx

I answered a question "is your investment at risk" not realizing what I was working on. Now I cant find the question to change the answer

regarding small business
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
VolvoGirl
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

I answered a question "is your investment at risk" not realizing what I was working on. Now I cant find the question to change the answer

That's for Schedule C line 32 if you have a loss - at Risk Investment

If you don't know what it means then probably All your Investment is at Risk (check Box 32a). It means you are using your own money for the business.

Check Box 32b Not at Risk, if you have amounts invested in this business for which you are not at risk, such as the following:

---Non-recourse loans used to finance the business

---Cash, property or borrowed amounts used in the business that are protected against loss by a guarantee, stop-loss agreement, or other similar arrangement (excluding casualty insurance and insurance against tort liability).

---Amounts borrowed for use in the business from a person who has an interest in the business, other than as a creditor.

If you have money not at risk you can not take a loss on schedule C.

HERE

Go back to your Self-Employment Income.   Click on Edit to review your business entries.   Then scroll down to Uncommon Situations, click Edit and check or uncheck the box.  If your investment is at risk, don't check the box.   You may need to delete Form 6198 if you had the box checked and are now unchecking it.     How to delete forms

You can get back to the question about your business investment being at risk by going to the Schedule C and finding the Final Details > Special Situations section (if using TurboTax Home and Business) or the Uncommon Situations section (if using TurboTax Self-Employed Online).  

Within those sections, there will be a check-box to indicate 'I have money invested in this business that I'm not at risk of losing; that is, certain cash, property, or borrowed amounts that are protected from loss.'  Uncheck that box if your investment in your business is not at risk.  

See this post 4/18/23 on how to change it

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/i-accidentally-checked-not-at-risk-doing...

View solution in original post

1 Reply
VolvoGirl
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

That's for Schedule C line 32 if you have a loss - at Risk Investment

If you don't know what it means then probably All your Investment is at Risk (check Box 32a). It means you are using your own money for the business.

Check Box 32b Not at Risk, if you have amounts invested in this business for which you are not at risk, such as the following:

---Non-recourse loans used to finance the business

---Cash, property or borrowed amounts used in the business that are protected against loss by a guarantee, stop-loss agreement, or other similar arrangement (excluding casualty insurance and insurance against tort liability).

---Amounts borrowed for use in the business from a person who has an interest in the business, other than as a creditor.

If you have money not at risk you can not take a loss on schedule C.

HERE

Go back to your Self-Employment Income.   Click on Edit to review your business entries.   Then scroll down to Uncommon Situations, click Edit and check or uncheck the box.  If your investment is at risk, don't check the box.   You may need to delete Form 6198 if you had the box checked and are now unchecking it.     How to delete forms

You can get back to the question about your business investment being at risk by going to the Schedule C and finding the Final Details > Special Situations section (if using TurboTax Home and Business) or the Uncommon Situations section (if using TurboTax Self-Employed Online).  

Within those sections, there will be a check-box to indicate 'I have money invested in this business that I'm not at risk of losing; that is, certain cash, property, or borrowed amounts that are protected from loss.'  Uncheck that box if your investment in your business is not at risk.  

See this post 4/18/23 on how to change it

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/i-accidentally-checked-not-at-risk-doing...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies