turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am trying to complete a nonresident Iowa state return because I have rental property and a sale of property there. Why can't I walk through income to allocate to IA?

Turbotax says it will walk through income, but goes directly to adjustments so I can't assign income to IA.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

I am trying to complete a nonresident Iowa state return because I have rental property and a sale of property there. Why can't I walk through income to allocate to IA?

You need to be sure you are completing your non-resident state tax return before your resident state return.

To delete your resident state return and reenter it in TurboTax Online please follow these steps:

1. Within your return click on State in the black menu bar on the left
  2. Click Continue to get to the Status of your state returns screen 
  3. Use the trash can icon for your resident state to delete the return
  4. Click Edit for the non-resident return to allocate your income there
  5. when the non-resident return is complete, you return to the Status of your state returns screen again
  6. Click the Add another State button, add your resident state, and progress through the questions to complete your return.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jamesosterling
Returning Member

I am using the desktop version of Turbotax.  I am at the "continue State Taxes" menu.  I don't see the trash can to delete the CA (resident) return.  How do I delete the CA return on the desktop version of Turbo Tax?

Thank you.

jamesosterling
Returning Member

I cleared both the resident state return (CA) and the non resident state return (IA).  When I restart the IA return, I still can't get to the menu that asks whether each income item is earned in IA or not.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies