turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to handle unused depreciation on improvement when selling rental property in 1031 exchange?

I did a 1031 exchange when i sold a rental house. New windows were installed 10 years previously. How is the unused depreciation handled? The house was already fully depreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to handle unused depreciation on improvement when selling rental property in 1031 exchange?

How did you handle the exchange in general?

Are you using separate depreciation schedules for the replacement property or are you treating the replacement property as a new asset for that purpose (see link below for an explanation in plain English).

https://www.fool.com/millionacres/taxes/depreciation/depreciation-after-1031-exchange-how-it-works/

You should treat the improvement consistent with your overall approach.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

@hooly wrote:

How is the unused depreciation handled? 

Depreciation deductions are deferred and the remaining basis can be essentially transferred to the replacement property. Alternatively, the asset can continue to be depreciated separately.

When I say:  sold or disposed of this item...it then asked me what i received for it.  I put -0-.  Then it shows a loss of the remaining amount of the item.  Should I put the amount here that is the remaining portion that is not depreciated?

I was going to to move it to the new property to continue to depreciate there.

How did you handle the exchange in general?

Are you using separate depreciation schedules for the replacement property or are you treating the replacement property as a new asset for that purpose (see link below for an explanation in plain English).

https://www.fool.com/millionacres/taxes/depreciation/depreciation-after-1031-exchange-how-it-works/

You should treat the improvement consistent with your overall approach.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies