turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Barb2

how to figure depreciation

New computer, now my depreciation schedule for a bldg. does not appear on my 2019 taxes. How do I get this info transferred from my 2018 taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

how to figure depreciation

I assume you are using the CD/Desktop version of Turbotax that you installed on your new computer. If so, then you **NEED** to copy the .tax2018 file from your old computer. You'll find it in the documents/turbotax directory, and you'll copy it to the same location on the new computer.

Once that's done, you need to start your 2019 return over from scratch. TO do that, delete the .tax2019 file in the documents/turbotax directory. Then when you start the TurboTax 2019 program it's "as if" you just installed it for the very first time.

There is no other way possible to import the 2018 data into your 2019 tax return. So if you can't get your .tax2018 tax file, you get to enter it all again from scratch. THe program will help you to figure what your prior year's depreciation is too, that you "should" be importing from the 2018 tax file. However, the year by year past depreciation activity will be lost forever.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies