turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to determine unadjusted basis & what is included in maintenance expenses on rental property

Am I understanding correctly that the unadjusted basis of my condo that I am renting out, is the rent collected for the year/lease period?  Also in determining cost of all repairs, maintenance and improvements, do Homeowners Dues count as part of this (under maintenance)?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to determine unadjusted basis & what is included in maintenance expenses on rental property

Original basis (unadjusted basis) is simply what you paid  for the building (not the land).  

Adjustments are then made to the original basis for improvements, depreciation, etc.

------

Homeowner Dues:

I list them under Management Fees as the dues I pay, while some are for repairs, maintenance, trash, water, they managing the place and collect the dues each month.   

They can be listed a number of areas, however be consistent and list them under same area, year to year, and this will help you compare years to each other so nothing is overlooked. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Original basis (unadjusted basis) is simply what you paid  for the building (not the land).  

Adjustments are then made to the original basis for improvements, depreciation, etc.

------

Homeowner Dues:

I list them under Management Fees as the dues I pay, while some are for repairs, maintenance, trash, water, they managing the place and collect the dues each month.   

They can be listed a number of areas, however be consistent and list them under same area, year to year, and this will help you compare years to each other so nothing is overlooked. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies