Solved: How to characterize a partnership's disposition vi...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kbsanders2008
Level 1

How to characterize a partnership's disposition via redemption/final distribution.

I redeemed 100% of my interest in a partnership which was paid to me via a distribution. I also received a final K-1. The partnership didn't actually sell the underlying assets and I assume it just affected the remaining partners share percentage.

I'm trying to properly record the disposition in TurboTax.

The choices in TT are

• No entry
  • Complete disposition
  • Disposition was not via a sale
  • Sold and am receiving payments.

I tried "Disposition was not via a sale", but then TT doesn't ask for my basis and doesn't check the boxes on Schedule E (Part II)(28)(e) for basis computation even though the instructions on the form state "Note: If you report a loss, receive a distribution, dispose of stock, or receive a loan repayment from an S corporation, you must check the box in column (e) on line 28 and attach the required basis computation.".

The distribution amount I received is on the final K-1 in box 19 with code A and I recorded that in TurboTax.

Any thoughts on the correct way to characterize a disposition via 100% redemption in TurboTax?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Mike9241
Level 6

How to characterize a partnership's disposition via redemption/final distribution.

i assume this was a private partnership  - not one in which you acquired a share through your broker.

make sure final k-1 is checked in TT

enter the k-1

then answer yes to sale. you did sell your interest for whatever the distribution was. 

you'll be taken to a section where you must enter the disposition (sales) info.

sales price = distribution

next, you need to enter your tax basis before the distribution

finally, if there is a schedule or additional statement reporting ordinary gain (section 751 or report on 4797 line 10)  that must be entered. 

you're done.

the sale will result in a capital gain or loss and maybe some ordinary gain if that's reported to you on a separate statement.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Mike9241
Level 6

i assume this was a private partnership  - not one in which you acquired a share through your broker.

make sure final k-1 is checked in TT

enter the k-1

then answer yes to sale. you did sell your interest for whatever the distribution was. 

you'll be taken to a section where you must enter the disposition (sales) info.

sales price = distribution

next, you need to enter your tax basis before the distribution

finally, if there is a schedule or additional statement reporting ordinary gain (section 751 or report on 4797 line 10)  that must be entered. 

you're done.

the sale will result in a capital gain or loss and maybe some ordinary gain if that's reported to you on a separate statement.  

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings