turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to adjust 1099 MISC on same year investment in a small, private company

Hello - I have income from an investment in a small privately-owned company that I sold in Nov 2019 after purchasing it in Mar 2019.  The company reported the sale to me on a 1099-Misc with a gross income of $56.5k but not accounting for the initial $50k invested 8 months earlier.   

In the income section, I'm reporting the $56.5k so it matches the form on file.  How do I adjust for this so I pay taxes on the net profit of $6.5k? The program is not accounting for my actual net profit.

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Based on your use of the words "investment" and "sold" it seems like this should be reported using the "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other" interview and telling TurboTax that you did not receive a 1099-B.  You'd then provide your basis - the $50K - in that interview, resulting in the short term gain. 

I don't understand why the transaction was reported on a 1099-MISC if this was really an "investment."

Thanks Tom!  I appreciate your help and quick response.

I think they should have sent a 1099-B and mistakenly sent a 1099-misc.  I'm not sure why it was a 1099-misc but they haven't responded to any call or email, most likely due to the fact that they are temporarily closed for business.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies