turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How long do I need to report a $60 capital gains loss that came from my stocks in 2021? I have not bought or sold since 2021.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

How long do I need to report a $60 capital gains loss that came from my stocks in 2021? I have not bought or sold since 2021.

You only get to deduct the $60 capital gain loss for one year. . You would only deduct the $60 loss in 2021. The maximum capital gains loss you can deduct each year is $3,000 and since your loss was only $60, you won't carryover a capital gains loss for any other year.

Refer to the TurboTax articles Where do I enter a capital gain or loss? and A Guide to the Capital Gains Tax Rate: Short-term vs. Long-term Capital Gains Taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies

You cannot enter and investment sale, gain or loss, from 2021 on a 2023 tax return.  This has to be entered on the 2021 tax return that was filed.  You will need to amend the 2021 tax return to report the sale.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

SharonD007
Expert Alumni

You only get to deduct the $60 capital gain loss for one year. . You would only deduct the $60 loss in 2021. The maximum capital gains loss you can deduct each year is $3,000 and since your loss was only $60, you won't carryover a capital gains loss for any other year.

Refer to the TurboTax articles Where do I enter a capital gain or loss? and A Guide to the Capital Gains Tax Rate: Short-term vs. Long-term Capital Gains Taxes.

Thanks for responding! This was on my 2021 return, i do not need to amend. I’m wondering how long i need to continue this form on my tax returns in the future. 

SharonD007
Expert Alumni

The Schedule D, Capital Gains and Losses doesn't need to remain on your tax return if you didn't have any transactions and you have no carryover losses.   You can delete the Schedule D from your tax return by following the instructions below:

For TurboTax Online:

1. Sign in to TurboTax and open your return
  2. Select Tax Tools from the menu ‌
  3. Select Tools
  4. In the pop-up window select Delete a form
  5. Find Schedule D in the list and Select Delete.

Refer to the TurboTax help article How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online? for more information.

To delete a form in TurboTax Desktop, follow the instructions below:

1. Open your tax return
  2. Select the Forms icon
  3. Select the form you want to delete from the menu
  4. Once the form is generated, select Delete Form
  5. Follow any instructions to delete the form(s).

For more information, refer to the TurboTax help article How do I delete a tax form in TurboTax Desktop?

If your $60 loss was carried over from 2021, you must report it every year, or else lose the future deduction.

But you don't have a carry over, you would have used it up on your 2022 tax return.

@caseystarr18 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies