Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How far back can I amend my returns if I never took depreciation expense on my rental property?

Form 3115 required before I can do this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

How far back can I amend my returns if I never took depreciation expense on my rental property?

You can amend your previous tax returns for up to three years.

• You can file back to 2020, but you must file it by 04/15/2024
  • You can also file 2021 and 2022, but you have at least a year to do it.
  • However. If you owned a depreciable asset before 2020 you must calculate the earlier years depreciation.
    • You will not be able to take advantage of the pre 2020 depreciation.
    • You will still have to claim it upon sale as depreciation recapture.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you! Follow up quick question…do I also first have to complete Form 3115 for change in method of accounting (no depreciation to depreciation)? Or can I just go back and amend each of the last 3 years returns? I also have filed already for 2023. As such, am I still able to amend 2020 return?

I have rented the property since July 2017 (10 years prior to that, it was my primary residence). I realize now that I am not able to “correct” those years 2017-2019.  I incorrectly thought by not claiming depreciation, I could avoid the depreciation recapture when I eventually sold it. Not true however, and I am trying now to go back to do what I can do. 

Carl
Level 15

With rental property, if you did not depreciate, or if you used an improper method for "2 or more consecutive years", then amending is not an option. You have to file IRS Form 3115 with your current tax return in order to fix this.

IRS Publication 946, https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p946.pdf page 13:

The following are examples of a change in method of
accounting for depreciation.
• A change from an impermissible method of determin-
ing depreciation for depreciable property if the imper-
missible method was used in two or more consecu-
tively filed tax returns.
• A change in the treatment of an asset from nondepre-
ciable to depreciable or vice versa

@CubsCarol wrote:

…do I also first have to complete Form 3115 for change in method of accounting (no depreciation to depreciation)? Or can I just go back and amend each of the last 3 years returns? 

You need to file Form 3115; you cannot amend at this point.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Form 3115 will need to be filed with your return. You will need to use TTD to file the form with your return. If you choose to file the form 3115 separately, there is a fee. You will need to make adjustments to your tax return for the missed depreciation.

You will have to compensate for the missed depreciation by adding it as a misc expense, sec 481a- missed depreciation and then add it back as rental income. If it is less than $50,000, you can take it all on this year. Otherwise, it is spread over a 4 year period.

In addition, you will receive more mail to allow the IRS to open or keep open all affected periods due to the 3115 change. You may have to pay a late fee since you did not file the first year after missed depreciation.

Our live agents can do this for you if you want to switch to letting us prepare your return. I would strongly recommend it for this situation. Otherwise, see About Form 3115, Application for Change in Accounting 

Subtracting depreciation

Adding adjustment

Claiming the income if $50,000 or less

Thank you ALL for your very helpful advice! Given that I have not taken depreciation expense for past 6 years, I now understand I MUST file Form 3115 with my current 2023 Tax Form., correct? However, I have already filed for 2023. Ugh. Do I AMEND my 2023 form now and send in Form 3115 with amended form? Thank you!!!

Additionally, with the depreciation expense included, my property net is a loss the past years. This would have increased my refund each year. 

@CubsCarol 

You can file the form with your 2024 tax return if that's more convenient.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, however my advice would be to do it as soon as possible so that it's in by April.  

And as tagteam included you can wait to file with your 2024 return.

I must make a disclaimer only in respect of the tax law. This has been tax law for many years, however it can always change without warning.

@CubsCarol 

[Edited: 02/19/2024 | 1:13 PM PST]

I have a few comments regarding this issue:

• Since you have already filed your 2023 tax return, I would pause and address this in 2024.
  • Amending your return for something like this could cause confusion on the part of the IRS; especially if it is done too close to the filing of the original.
  • While the filing of the form 3115 provides for an automatic change, there is certain language and statements that need to be included as well as the computation of the Section 481(a) adjustment.
  • In addition to including the form 3115 with your tax return, you will also need to file a 2nd copy with the IRS National Office no earlier than the first day of the year of change and no later than when Form 3115 is filed with the federal income tax return for the year of change.  This copy MUST be signed.  As a result, I would just make a copy of the signed copy and include that with the tax return copy.
  • As a result of the above, I would strongly recommend you handle this post tax season with a tax professional.  The form will then be completed and ready when you prepare your 2024 tax return; I wouldn't sign it until you are actually ready to send it in.
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

I am planning to sell my rental property this summer…as such, I would like to address with 2023 tax year. 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

I understand and since you are selling the property this summer, I am inclined to agree with Rick19744 because you have the time to get it right, have it all ready to go with the 2024 tax return without rushing to get it done now.  It may even be easier to handle the sale and the change in accounting all at once in the year of sale.  

I also recommend a tax professional to assist with the change in accounting (Form 3115). Keep in mind that TurboTax Desktop must be used for this if you do plan to do it on you own.

Whatever you decide, it's your call.

@CubsCarol 

Again, thank you ALL for your input! Very helpful in determining my options! Guess it’s in my best interests to meet with a tax professional now to discuss next step by April,  and how that will impact me moving forward. Thanks again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies