turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

f47p48

How enter date bought & sold in schedule B/D for Massachusetts? Multiple dates are involved? Description says "see attached". I downloaded 1099-B.

I can't enter one date because there are many dates.  Downloading 1009-B to Turbotax I assumed allows then to send it in with the return. Any way to do this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

How enter date bought & sold in schedule B/D for Massachusetts? Multiple dates are involved? Description says "see attached". I downloaded 1099-B.

Yes, if the details of your investment activity are imported from Form 1099-B, they will be included on Schedule D with the detail pages, Form 8949. This information will transfer to the necessary forms for Massachusetts.

The transactions should be sorted on Form 8949 based on whether the trades

• were or were not on Form 1099-B,
  • were held short-term or long-term and
  • whether they were or were not reported to the IRS.

For more information see: Where is Schedule D?

f47p48

The answer did not solve the problem.  There is no way to enter multiple dates in the form.  The Turbotax program keeps wanting to satisfy this requirement before the final submittal of the return.  I solved the problem by entering the word "various" so I could finish and submit the return.  During the process of figuring the taxes the Turbotax program asks for the download of the 1099-B.  I did that and it was accepted.  The line items requiring the dates indicates to refer to the attached statement.  I can only assume that Turbotax transmitted the downloaded information with the return.  No where does it show in tax documents that this was done, that I can find.

I am also confused about this. I had many stock sales so grouped them in my federal return into short-term and long-term. However, my MA return section says "You entered stock or property sales on your federal return without an exact date acquired or date sold. For Massachusetts you must enter valid dates." The date sold and date acquired boxes only accept mm/dd/yyyy type entries. Do I need to go back and enter every transaction individually??

However, it does seem to allow me to leave those fields blank and continue past them. The description says "Pershing LLC - see attached statement". Is it sufficient to leave the dates blank and direct the IRS to the attached 1099-B instead?

f47p48

Enter "varies" in date spaces to stop Turbotax from asking you to correct this item when it checks your return.  Turbotax will ask you to download your 1099-B info, if required, during the entry of your tax info. Turbotax states it will submit your 1099-B to Massachusetts with your filing.  You can only assume turbotax sends it with your electronic filing because I can't find confirmation that they do it.  You don't have to list each stock separately.

aboxer51

For 2022 entering "varies" or "various" in the turbotax box for date bought or date sold does not work. The box returns to blank unless I enter something in date format. I tried ??/??/???? and that didn't work. Has anybody figured out how to get around this other than leaving it blank and hoping that the Mass Dept. of Revenue will get it from 1099B that was uploaded to Turbotax earlier in the process?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

If it requires a date enter a date.  If you have one date that covers most of the trades use that.  If not July 15th is right in the middle of the year and that date will work.  If you are contacted in regards to the date you can give Massachusetts a copy of your 1099B.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

If it requires a date enter a date.  If you have one date that covers most of the trades use that.  If not July 15th is right in the middle of the year and that date will work.  If you are contacted in regards to the date you can give Massachusetts a copy of your 1099B.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
grogy

In my case I was able to put "Various" into the date acquired and date sold boxes. My holdings company was Robinhood and they show "Various" on the 1099-B for long and short term totals. Turbo tax needs to show somewhere obvious that that is a valid value...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies