Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

birdlui

How do I transfer rental property from Schedule E to Form 1065

My husband and I formed a LLC in 2018.  We have 3 rental property under our name and filed on Schedule E in the past.  We moved those property to the LLC and need file 1065 this year.  How do we remove those rental property from schedule E?  Does the new basis on the form 1065 should be the original cost basis less depreciation already took?

Thanks,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

If you choose to report the properties on Form 1065 and then enter each of your K-1's into your personal return, you are correct that you would enter the new basis as the original cost less depreciation taken. 

Report the Rental Properties as 'converted to personal use'  in the Rental Section (Property Profile and Assets/Depreciation section). 

However, if you and your husband are the only members of the LLC, you could be considered a 'disregarded entity' by the IRS and are not required to File Form 1065.

You would still use Schedule E to report your Rental Income and Expenses in that case.

Here's more info:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3599270

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

If you choose to report the properties on Form 1065 and then enter each of your K-1's into your personal return, you are correct that you would enter the new basis as the original cost less depreciation taken. 

Report the Rental Properties as 'converted to personal use'  in the Rental Section (Property Profile and Assets/Depreciation section). 

However, if you and your husband are the only members of the LLC, you could be considered a 'disregarded entity' by the IRS and are not required to File Form 1065.

You would still use Schedule E to report your Rental Income and Expenses in that case.

Here's more info:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3599270

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

then, assuming you transferred them to schedule k-1, would you delete the properties from your schedule E in subsequent years?  The home/Business software does not speak to the business version; so it seems this is a manual adjustment.  Or do you continue to carry them on your schedule E?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies